- Refined Flour 1 cup
- Gram Flour 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 3/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 3 tablespoons
- Oil 1 tablespoon + to deep fry
- Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto) 1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds (til) 1/4 cup
- Dry coconut (khopra) grated 1/2 cup
- Ginger chopped 1 tablespoon
- Green chillies chopped 3
- Coriander powder 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin powder 1/2 tablespoon
- Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 2 tablespoons
Mix together refined flour, gram flour and salt in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and oil. Add sufficient water to make a stiff dough. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside.
Dry roast poppy seeds and sesame seeds separately. Dry roast grated dry coconut. In another bowl mix chopped ginger, chopped green chillies, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder.
Add roasted spices and mix well. Add asafoetida, chopped coriander leaves and salt. Mix well.
Divide the dough into eight equal portions. Roll out thinly. Apply some water on the surface and spread a portion of the stuffing mixture. Roll into flutes.
Place the flutes in the steamer basket and steam for twenty minutes. Cool the flutes slightly and cut into half inch sized pieces.
They can be cut into pieces without steaming too. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep-fry the pieces on medium heat till golden brown and crisp.
Drain onto an absorbent paper. Serve hot or at room temperature.