- Mince Meat (Qeema) 1/2 kg
- Karela, bitter gourd or bitter melon (medium size)1 kg or 8-10 nos
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder 1 tea sp
- Garam masala 1 tea sp
- Cumin seed 1 tea sp
- Corriander powder( pisa hua dhanya) 1 tea sp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea sp
- Tomatoes 3-4 (chopped)
- Ginger 1 1/2 table sp (chopped)
- Onion 2 large (chopped)
- Anar-dana (pomegranate) powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies 4 medium (chopped)
- Green corriander 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Lemon juice 1/2 tea sp
- Oil for frying
- Peel the karelas (bitter gourd or melon) from outside until all the green stuff comes off and the skin becomes thin.
- Take out all the seeds and green layer from inside.
- Next, applysalt evenly inside and outside the Karelas and set aside for 2-3 hrs.
- Then wash well with clean water.
- Now boil them for 5 minutes adding 1/2 tea sp salt, lemon juice and turmeric powder.
- Allow to cool, strain water and keep aside.
Preparing Qeema or mince meat
Saute 1/2 onion(chopped) in 2 tbsp oil. When it turns golden then add the mince meat and fry for few minutes.
Add chopped ginger and all the dry ingredients except Anar dana powder and fry for few more minutes.
Now add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook for 10-15 or until all the water dries up and mince meat leaves oil.
Now add all the chopped green masala and Anar dana powder in Qeema (mince meat).
Stuff the prepared Qeema in each Karela (bitter gourd) evenly.
Tie all these stuffed Karelas with thread so that all the stuffing or masala stays inside.
Now in a frying pan pour 1/2 cup oil and place all the Karelas in it.
Cover and fry on a very low heat for almost an hour or until it becomes crispy golden brown.
Turn them occasionally without splitting the inside masala.
Now in a serving dish put some fried Qeema (that is left from the stuffed karelas) and Place all the stuffed Karelas in it.
Garnish with fresh green corriander and serve hot with Roti and Raita.