- 160 grams of Red lentils or masoor dal
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies, split lengthwise
- 3 normal size of white onion, finely chopped
- 5 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 normal size of tomato, finely chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp of fresh coriander, chopped, for garnishing
In a deep saucepan add the lentils , ½ tsp turmeric powder and water. Put on stove to a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. If it's too thick then add some water.
Turn the heat off and, with the help of masher or Daal Ghotni or electric beater, mash the dal slightly so it thickens. Leave to cool with the lid.
Now, make the Tarka with above ingredients as fried in oil and put them all into the Dal. Ready to Eat...!