- Use regular oil or Olive oil
- One heaped or full tbsp black mustard seeds
- Two dried Kashmiri chillies or other dried mild ones
- Handful of fresh curry leaves
- Half teaspoon of ground cumin
- One tsp of ground coriander
- Small thumb of ginger, peeled and grated
- One Kilogram of potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks, parboiled in salted water and drained
- Two tomatoes, chopped
- One cup of chopped spinach
In a large frying pan over a high heat, add a big splash of oil. When it’s nice and hot, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they start to crackle, add the chillies and curry leaves. Leave to cook for one minutes, then stir in the cumin and coriander, leave for another five seconds, then add the ginger and potatoes. Work quickly, because the spices may be burn so do as your spices don’t burn.
Stir well so the potatoes are nicely coated in spice. Once these are heated through or cooked well the add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until softened.
Well Stir in the spinach and season. When the spinach has wilted then take off the heat and serve in plates. It is best with hot chapati or some people like with puri.