|For Marinating||For Cooking Rice||For Masala|
Raisins – 50 grams ,Mint and Coriander Leaves one bunch, 2 large Onion (sliced), Milk 50 ml, Saffron 1 gram, Garam Masala 2 pinch, 4 tbs of Ghee and Oil.
- Marinate the prawns with salt, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala and lemon juice for about 10 minutes. Wash and soak the rice for about 30 minutes. I usually soak the rice and get the other things done. Similarly, soak the saffron strands in some warm milk.
- Heat a big heavy bottomed pot or a pressure cooker in which you plan to make the biryani. Add 2 tbsp of oil; first fry the cashews and raisins until golden brown. Remove them using a slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same oil, add the marinated shrimp (prawns) and fry for about 5 minutes. Remove it and keep it aside.
- Add another 2 tbsp. of oil and add the sliced onions. Add little salt and cook it for 30 minutes on medium flame till it gets browned. Remove the fried onions and keep it aside. We need it later for layering. You can fry the onions in a separate pan if you want to save time.
- After removing the onions, add little ghee to the same pan. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chilies. Also add the chopped mint and coriander leaves. Saute till it gets mushed up.
- Add the dry spices – red chili powder, , turmeric powder and black pepper powder. Also, add 1/3rd of the fried onions. Mix everything together and cook for 2-3 minutes till you get a nice gravy.
- At this stage, mix in the fried prawns with this.
- Simultaneously in another big pot, bring plenty of water to boil. Add the oil, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, fennel seeds and some salt. Add the soaked rice. Cook until the rice is 3/4th cooked i.e. it should have a bite to it. Drain the rice and keep it ready for layering.
- In the pot with the masala gravy and the prawns, spread the masala evenly around the pan. Add the cooked rice as the second layer. You can add all the rice in a single batch if you are making a small quantity. For large quantities, 2-3 layers of the masala and rice can be made.
- After you add the rice layer, add finely chopped mint leaves, fried onions, and raisins as the third layer. Add the saffron soaked milk on top of the rice. Also sprinkle some and add the ghee on top.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and leave it on the lowest heat setting for about 20 minutes.
- Open the lid, fluff up the rice gently without breaking it. Enjoy the shrimp biryani.