325 gms basmati rice
- 1/2 kg mutton, cut in pieces
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1/2 tbspn ginger garlic paste
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 3 red chilies
- 1" piece cinnamon
- 1/2 cup curd (yogurt), beaten
- 3 green cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 5 pepper corns
- 1/2 tspn shah zeera (black cumin seeds )
- 1 pinch saffron, dissolved in 1/4cup milk
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- Dry fruits, as required
- 5 jardalu (apricots)
- Coriander leaves & pudina (mint ) leaves, as required)
- Ghee , as required
- Fry the apricots and dry fruits in 2 1/2 tbspn ghee with a little salt to taste. Grind the red chilies and fried onions to a fine paste.
- Marinate the mutton pieces with curd, onion paste, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt . Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add the marinated mutton and pressure cook until it is done.
- In another vessel heat ghee again, add the whole spices, fry it for a while and then add the washed rice. Add salt , warm water so that it comes 1 1/2 inch above the rice and cook it until the rice is done.
- Remove, remove the whole spices and spread out to cool. Now to assemble, apply ghee to a heavy bottomed vessel, add the cooked mutton and sprinkle a little garam masala.
- Cover with a layer of rice, followed by a melted ghee and then the saffron milk. Finally, add the fried nuts, cover tightly and keep on dum for about 20 minutes.
- Mix and serve hot garnished with pudina and chopped coriander.